Thursday, June 21, 2018

Woodstock, Carleton County, New Brunswick, Canada


Elva and Dan, late 1950s


My parents, Elva Crabtree and Daniel Harris, were married in Woodstock, New Brunswick, Canada on Dec. 21, 1940. Here is their marriage record:



For a little historical background, my father grew up in Worcester, Massachusetts. My mother's family lived at various times on the Canadian side of the border, and on the American side in Aroostook County, Maine. They surely passed through this customs stations many times. 

From The Collectors. A History of Canadian Customs and Excise, by David McIntosh. .
 Published by NC Press Ltd in association with Revenue Canada, Customs and Excise and the Canadian Government Publishing Centre, 1984.
I believe that my parents met in New Hampshire while working summer jobs. I'm not sure, though. I wish that I had asked them more questions!

I have never been to Woodstock, or to New Brunswick, for that matter. I wanted to see what it looked like in 1940. I wasn't able to find a photo for that date, but did find one from 1900 and one modern bird's eye view. 
1900

Modern view

Here's another modern view, this time of Main Street at sunset.


This is a farm in the countryside outside of Woodstock. 



Finally, I can tell that the people of Woodstock are very fond of their town when I read this:

I apologize for not having a source; I believe this was posted on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment, be sure to subscribe to follow-ups so that you will be notified of any responses.