Tuesday, May 1, 2018

My Father's School Days: Daniel L. Harris, 1907-1972

My father was Daniel Lawrence Harris, 1907-1972. He was the son of Albert and Eva Josephine Ellis Harris and was born in Worcester, Massachusetts. 

I wish I knew more about his father's family. After years of poking around, I've only been able to find that his father's parents were Harry and Mamie Graves Harris, and that was only because they were named on Albert and Eva's 1906 marriage record in Newark, New Jersey. "Harry" and "Mamie" sound like nicknames, of course, making the search even more difficult. 

But back to my dad. I love these glimpses into his early life in Worcester. 


This would have been around 1915 in Worcester, Massachusetts. I count 35 students. By the time I went to elementary school in San Francisco in the late 1940s, class size was around 30. Now, of course, most classes are much smaller. 



Perhaps a year or two later


2 comments:

  1. Richard's obituary was so beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops - posted my comment about another post in the wrong place.

    And a comment on this post:

    Daddy!!!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave a comment, be sure to subscribe to follow-ups so that you will be notified of any responses.