Monday, December 27, 2010

In Honor of My Mother's Birthday

This post was first published on The Zees Go West on December 27, 2008.

My mother, Elva, was born on December 27, 1914, and died in 1997, although we would have sworn that she was immortal. In honor of her birthday, I'd like to share one of my favorite photos of her, which was taken in 1978.

I would like to pretend that she was an intrepid explorer who discovered a great many antiquities in Egypt, but I'm afraid that this photo is a little too revealing. Note the old gentleman in the background wearing a vacation outfit--a sure tip-off that this photo was staged as part of a retired teachers' tour of Egyptian sightseeing highlights. And, for heaven's sake, check out the purse (always referred to as a pocket book by my mother) she is carrying. It's a rare explorer who carries a purse when riding off toward adventure in the desert.

Still, she was a brave woman who had planned to see the world together with my dad when he retired. Sadly, he died before they could travel, so she just went ahead on her own.

Happy Birthday, Mother. I'll bet you are riding around Heaven, exploring on a camel. 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Grandma Elva! Love this post too Clair. I did not realize until reading this that my Nana is almost exactly 1 year older than your Mom. Her birthday is tomorrow (born 1913).

    Love, D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, Clair! My mom was born in 1913 and died in 1997...

    At this point I hope the birthdays and special days have finally grown to be pleasant, happy days of sweet thoughts remembered of a time gone by! Your mom does look like quite an adventurer up there on that camel!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave a comment, be sure to subscribe to follow-ups so that you will be notified of any responses.