Sunday, January 26, 2014

Edith Crabtree's Obituary


In my mother's writing: "Ma and Auntie:"
Edith Crabtree, and possibly my mother's Aunt Anna*


I have an image of my grandmother Edith's obituary clipping in my files. Sadly, the date is missing, as is the name of the newspaper. I'm guessing it was from the Bangor Daily News, but I am hoping that someone reading here will have the exact information.



My records from an interview with my mother (Edith's daughter, Elva Crabtree Harris Rodriguez) show that Edith died on Sept. 26, 1946; however, a look at a 1946 calendar shows that this would be a Thursday, and the obituary says that Edith died on a Sunday. Edith's headstone shows simply "1946" for her date of death. That's another mystery, but I plan to find the exact date eventually.

Here is the text of the obituary [with my additions in brackets]:

Mrs. Edith R. Crabtree, 65, died Sunday at her home in Ludlow after a month's illness. She was
born in Kilburn, N. B. the daughter of William and Martha Grant Giberson and moved to Ludlow from Beaconsfield, N. B. 12 years ago.

Mrs. Crabtree is survived by her husband, David J. Crabtree; four sons, Clifford of Bangor, Beecher and Jesse of Ludlow, David Jr. of the U. S. Navy in St. Albans, N.Y; nine daughters, Mrs. George [Alma] McLellan of Plainville, Conn., Mrs. Donald [Hope] MacLeod. of Point Duchene, N. B., Mrs. Clayton [Bessie] Valley of Portland, Maine, Mrs. Daniel [Elva] Harris of San Francisco, Calif., Mrs. Eugene [Anna] Littleton [should be Middleton], Mrs. Murray [Gladys] Victory. Mrs. Joseph [Sadie] Ayotte, Miss Faith Crabtree of Houlton, and Mrs. Gilbert [Lois] Stockson of Bangor; also 29 grandchildren and one great grandchild. 

Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at two at the Pentecostal Church with Rev. Howard [Hatt] of Woodstock officiating. [Burial] was in Evergreen Cemetery [missing information, where the corner of the clipping was torn off, was supplied by Patricia Parkhurst Gee Pickard. Thank you, Pat!].

The Evergreen Cemetery, where Edith was buried, is located in Houlton, Aroostook County, Maine.


*****

*In the photo above, I am guessing that "Auntie" would be one of David Crabtree Sr.'s sisters, as Edith had only brothers. Because all of the other sisters were dead before 1940, I think that this might be Anna Thursa Crabtree, who married Uncle Charles Field and who came to visit us in San Francisco in the 1940s. It is also possible that this is Sadie Ermina Crabtree Thomas, who died in 1938.

*****

From my WikiTree records:

Edith Rae Crabtree formerly Giberson aka Crabb (family name changed to Crabtree 1910)
Born  in Lower Perth, New Brunswick, Canadamap
Wife of  — married  in Easton, Mainemap
Died  in Houlton, Maine, U.S.map

1 comment:

  1. In the obit, my mom was still Crabtree, my mom and dad were married just after she died as their anniversary was December 1, 1946.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave a comment, be sure to subscribe to follow-ups so that you will be notified of any responses.