Thursday, July 20, 2017

Abraham Perkins of Hampton, New Hampshire

I was surprised and pleased to find that my great great great grandmother, Joanna Perkins Rankins (who we previously met in From Rome to Cherokee, Part 2 when she trundled off in a covered wagon for hundreds and hundreds of miles at age 70) was descended from the one of the early settlers of Hampton, New Hampshire.

After all, my own immediate family had lived in New Hampshire for over twenty years, and I had always felt very much at home there even though I didn't know about my connection.

Layout of Founders Park in Hampton, New Hampshire
showing the placement of memorial stones.
Several of the names here (Perkins, Sleeper, Dow, Fogg, Moulton, and Sanborn, so far)
are in my family tree. From the Founders Park website 

Abraham Perkins, born in 1613 in Hilmorton, Warwickshire, England, was my 9th great-grandfather. Or perhaps he was born in 1603, or 1605, or 1608--accounts vary. His parents were Isaac Perkins and Alice [Unknown]; or they might have been John Perkins and Judith Gater. It's so hard to tell at this distance.

He came to America with his wife Mary Wise (or Wyeth) around 1639. Abraham was 26 (or not, depending on which birth date you choose), and Mary was 21. They stayed for a short while in Plymouth Colony before moving to Hampton, New Hampshire.

From The Find a Grave memorial for Abraham Perkins: Abraham Perkins was among the first settlers [in Hampton]. He is described as being superior in point of education to the most of his contemporaries, writing a beautiful hand, and was often employed as an appraiser of estates, etc.  He was town marshal in 1654, and selectman between 1650 and 1683.

In addition to his duties with the town and the development of his homestead and land, Abraham was a good family man. His children numbered thirteen, and they were named Abraham, Mary, Luke, Humphrey I (died young), James I (died young), Timothy I (died young), James II, Jonathan, David, Abigail, Timothy II, Sarah, and Humphrey II. All were born in New Hampshire. 

How do I know that he was a good family man? I believe that it shines through in his will, which I will share with you in the next post. 


*****
Sources

1. U.S. Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889/1970. Ancestry.com

2. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900. Ancestry.com

3. Millennium File, Ancestry.com


5. U.S. and Canada Passenger and Immigration Lists, 1500s to 1900s. Ancestry.com

6. U.S., New England Marriages Prior to 1700. Ancestry.com

My relationship to Abraham Perkins:





1 comment:

When you leave a comment, be sure to subscribe to follow-ups so that you will be notified of any responses.